Monday, September 21, 2009

Antwerp, Belgium



The second part of our trip we spent in Antwerp, Belgium. According to folklore, and as celebrated by the statue in front of the town hall, the city got its name from a legend involving a mythical giant called Antigoon who lived near the river Scheldt. He exacted a toll from those crossing the river, and for those who refused, he severed one of their hands and threw it into the river Scheldt. Eventually, the giant was slain by a young hero named Brabo, who cut off the giant's own hand and flung it into the river. Hence the name Antwerpen, in dutch meaning hand throwing.

I LOVED Antwerp. Not sure exactly why. We explored the old part of Antwerp by horse and buggy. We also bought some famous Belgium Chocolates (which are fabulous and in my freezer so I don't eat them all!). We didn't go over in to the diamond district (Jon seemed to avoid that part of town pretty good). Since it's only a hour and half from home I will be making another trip to see all the diamonds. Anyone want to go with me?!

4 comments:

Amy Rasmussen said...

I'm all over seeing the diamonds and the chocolate. Talk about 2 of a girls best friends! You are so lucky. I forgot to tell you how we were all dying over those cookies you left here. Our friend Dave said he would pay to have some shipped here they were so good! Yummy!! Thanks!

McDonald Crew said...

Sounds like you are having lots of fun over there!

Phil and Karen said...

I just told Phil that we would have to swing through Antwerp so I could get me a 10th Anniversary Ring when we are there. I think you might need to come and go with us. Always could use a second opinion.

michelle keisel said...

Looks like so much fun! What a great experience for your kids too.