So, in Holland they celebrate SinterKlaas. SinterKlaas is Santa's cousin who lives in Spain. Instead of elves he has Zwarte Piets (translation: Black Peter's). SinterKlaas comes on December 5th but not while you are sleeping, he comes sometime after dinner and drops your gifts off at your door. SinterKlaas is welcomed in to your town about 15 days before December 5th. This past weekend SinterKlaas arrived in our town and we joined in with the Dutch to welcome him. We really couldn't believe how big of a deal it is. The festivities started with a parade lasting about 30 minutes. The Zwarte Piets came along handing out papernoten (special gingerbread like cookies they make special) and other candy. The Dutch were prepared with the bags but we had no idea. Good thing Talynn was prepared and had her purse with her. By the time the parade was over her purse was over flowing with papernoten. Once SinterKlaas has been welcomed in to your town the children can put their shoes by the fireplace or front door at night. The Zwarte Piets come and leave little goodies in the shoes. The kids have been very excited for SinterKlaas and the Zwarte Piets. They put their shoes out last night and were bouncing off the wall with excitement. The Zwarte Piets came and brought them each a HUGE chocolate letter representing their names. Talynn was so excited but really wanted a necklace and Chase wanted some more go go's but my darling daughter Bailee stole my heart. She was so excited for the chocolate and is hoping the Zwarte Piets bring her all the letters of her name in chocolate!! Who doesn't want that?!!!
I would take a picture of the chocolate letters but we got a new camera and I don't know how to use it yet.






5 comments:
To take pictures with the camera, you move the switch to "on," and then hit that big circle button on top. The click noise means it's working.
In all seriousness, why don't you stop by for a few minutes and we can show you how to do everything?
More to celebrate. Who doesn't love that?
I want my name in chocolate letters!
Oooh Dutch chocolate, yummy!
What a fun tradition! I hope you got the letters D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!
Post a Comment