Monday, May 4, 2009

Mother's Day

So the day I have dreaded for the past thirteen years is once again sneaking up on me. I HATE MOTHER'S DAY!!! There, I said it!!! I don't like going to church and hearing how wonderful mother's are. I know I should look at it differently but to me it's just a HUGE reminder of how much I miss my mother. How I wish she knew Jon. How I wish she could hold my children. How I wish I could call her and talk for hours. So many things that have happened the past thirteen years that I would love to tell her. After giving this much thought I decided I would write a tribute to my mother to help me get through this Mother's Day. I'm not a writer. I have terrible grammar skills and most of the time don't make any sense. So just bare with me as I try to put in to words what's in my heart.

LaPreal Knapp Ware was born September 26, 1944. She was number 10 out of 11 children. She was raised on a dairy farm in Mapleton, Idaho. My mother loved being on the farm. She loved going outside and working with her father. She called herself a "tomboy". When my mother was 14 her mother passed away. Her father remarried and moved to Logan, Utah. My mother stayed back on the farm and lived with an older sister so she could finish High School. Once out of High School my mother moved to Grantsville, Utah and lived with another sister. This is where she met the man of her dreams, my father. My parents married on September 15, 1967 (I think that's the year). They made there home in Grantsville, Utah. My mother wanted a big family. She loved children. She settled with 8 children but I think she would of welcomed more.
My mother was a great mother. She had so much patience and love. She hardly ever raised her voice and had a calming way of letting you know when she was disappointed.
My mother had lots of talents. One of them was baking. She would make about 10 loaves of bread at one time. She would always make sure we gave at least 7 of the loaves to neighbors or friends. She was always thinking of others and willing to share. She would make us kids deliver the bread so we could learn the importance of thinking of others.
My mother was a great listener. Friends would call and tell her everything. She never passed gossip. I remember being in College hearing something that happened in my home town. I called home to tell my mom. She of course already knew but wasn't going to spread it around and told me I shouldn't talk about it either.
My mother loved our savior Jesus Christ. She was a very strong member of our church. She gave countless service hours to help others. I didn't realize how many lives she touched until she was bed-ridden in her last year of life. The whole town came together and provided dinner for my family every night. Every single night for a year and a half my family had a hot meal made from someone my mother had touched with her life. I still get teary eyed thinking about this. I didn't realize my mother had been such an influence for good to so many people.
My mother had a great way of making everyone feel special and needed. If you ask any of my brothers and sisters they will all say they were moms favorite. The funny thing is we were all moms favorite! She made each one of us feel very special.
My mother is my best friend! I think she was very inspired. When I was in college my mother wrote me lots of letters. I couldn't figure out why she was writing me letters when we would speak on the telephone every Sunday and Wednesday. I now know why I received those letters. So I can read them today! If I want to chat with my mom I just go pull out my letters.
I love my mother! I miss her terribly. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her. She has influenced my life for the good. I would like to be the kind of mother to my children that she was to me (I'm failing terribly).
I believe that I will see her again. I believe that families are forever. That I will live with her and the rest of my family after this life. Oh, I can't wait for that day! I can't wait to introduce the man of my dreams to her. I can't wait for her to hug my children. I can't wait to see her precious smile and to hear her voice. I love you mom! Happy Mother's Day!!!

14 comments:

Jodi said...

Allison,
You made me cry.
I'm so sorry. Mother's Day must be awful for you. I'm so glad you have all those wonderful memories of your mom. My mom is here, and I hardly ever talk to her. I guess I should work on making a closer relationship with her while I can. We're lucky to know that we can be with our families forever. You'll get the chance to introduce Jon and your beautiful kids.

I love ya! Happy Mother's Day to you.

michelle keisel said...

Your mom was awesome. I remember her bread. I remember her being so kind. The last time I saw her was in Soelbergs. Justin and I were in town and we ran into her and she came up to me and gave me a big hug. I wish I would have known that was the last time I was going to see her in this life. I ran for her in the Susan G Komen race a few years ago. I hope that is okay. I just love you so much and I have such fond memories of your mother and the good times at your house. Your mother does know your husband and children. I am sure of that. When I found out I had melanoma I wasn't sure what stage it was for a few days and I just kept thinking that if I was going to die I was going to stay as near to my children as possible. I am sure your mother is watching over you very closely. And BTW I know you are an amazing mother. Love Ya

Stephanie said...

I am a sobbing mess right now. That was beautifully written! It doesn't seem fair that you had to lose your mom. It is comforting to know that you will be able to be with her again someday. I love you!

Phil and Karen said...

Coming from family, that was a very beautiful tribute and I know Phillip feels the same way! I know a day doesn't go by that he doesn't think of her a miss her dearly. I feel blessed to have known her. I also feel blessed to have the gospel in our lives so that life doesn't end here. On that glorious day when she is reunited with all of us the heavens will shout and tears of joy will flood the ground. I also want to thank you for stating she married the man of her dreams. I think your father will greatly appreciate it! I love ya! And yes I'm sobbing terribly while reading and typing this!

Terra Johnson said...

Allison -
Talk about a tear jerker! Your mother sounded like a real special person. You should never doubt that you are doing a good job following in her footsteps! You are a wonderful mother and your children are so lucky to have you! I have learned a ton from you! You are Fabulous!

Happy Mother's Day!

Terra Johnson said...

Allison -
Talk about a tear jerker! Your mother sounds like a wonderful person. You should never doubt that you are following in her footsteps. You too are a wonderful mother and your children are very lucky! I learned lots from you in just the two short weeks that you stayed at my house. You are fabulous! Thank you for writing that tribute!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Amy said...

What a nice tribute to your mom. She reminds me of my mom.

Amy Rass said...

Allison,
Wow...tears. Anytime I have heard you describe your awesome mother I think that is why Allison is so great. I am sure she is very proud of you today!

lisa said...

You are BUSTED! Talk about crying my head off! Do you know that every mother's day (which is always my worst day of the year too) I think of you? I don't know if you ever knew about a conversation I had with your mom a few weeks before she died about being a mom. She loves you guys. Why can't I stop crying? Now I am bawling just a minute I have to stop... I can't read through my typos. Your mom (Mrs. Ware as I still have to call her)was as good as my mom. I mean she may as well have been my mom growing up. She helped me through a lot when I needed it most. She is a great woman. I will be thinking about you especially this weekend if you will remember that you aren't the only miserable one sitting through all those talks at church. At least you get to have fond memories of her. She knows your children and Jon. She sent them to you. She picked out the best and sent them down. She is very proud of you. You are an awesome mom, you learned from one of the best. I love you, Big Al! I think you are my bestest old friend alive! Thanks for all the wonderful memories.

Holly said...

I wasn't going to write anything because I can't see through all my tears. I just have to tell you what a beautiful tribute that was from a wonderful daughter and Mother. I am sure your mother is very proud of you for all that you are, have become and will be. You are such a fabulous mother and wife. Your children will never know until they have their children and look back at all that you have taught them. Thank you for sharing that with us. hugs, Holly

Becky said...

more tears- I know what you mean by "the dreaded day" I'm sorry. A mother definitely cannot be replaced. As I was reading your mom's bio I kept thinking that you are a lot like her. I bet she is smiling down on you proud as can be at the women you have become. You are a special person who has touched many many lives.
I still remember your last testimony from our ward. (not all-most of it) I know you want her here on earth but she is always watching and still loving you.
love ya!

Anonymous said...

Tell the blog police he has nothing on you now. BLOG RULES!!!!

Melynie said...

That was so wonderful, and I have never even met her! She sounds like a beautiful person. I'm so sorry that you are apart for now. I can't imagine how much you must miss her. I'm crying about it right now. Lucky for us, we've got the whole 'eternal family' thing going on!

wright said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother! I loved reading your sweet words.