Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Paris



We were on "holiday" last Thursday and Friday so we decided to take off and go to Paris. We went with two other families. It was so much fun. I think my favorite part was eating crepes and pastries. I dare say the food in Paris is ten times better then the food in the Netherlands! There was a pastry called pain en chocolat. Oh man, it was soooo good!!!

The first day we visited the Arc de Triomphe. It is located on the largest street in Paris. It was a very busy street. Lots of people, cars and shopping. As we were walking to the arc I saw a Louis Vuitton store. I couldn't believe it. There was a line wrapping around the building of people waiting to get in to the store. There was a security guard only letting a few people in at a time. Pretty crazy!


We also visited the Eiffel Tower (or as Talynn called it the Tall Tower). Was shocked to see the security guards carrying around such massive guns. Also millions of people were waiting to go up in the tower. We decided to take a boat ride on the Seine River and wait to go inside the Eiffel Tower the next day. Well, we've decided there isn't a "good" time to go to the Eiffel Tower. We waited in line for an hour and half to purchase our tickets and another hour and a half to get to the top of the tower. It was a beautiful view from the top. It was a clear day so we could see all of Paris.


We also visited Notre Dame and saw the gargoyles (not very pretty creatures!) and the Louvre. I was very anxious to see the Louvre since it plays a huge roll in one of my favorite books, The Da Vinci Code. Outside the Louvre was so beautiful. The huge glass pyramid was amazing. Once inside we headed right for the Mona Lisa. Was shocked to see she is so small. She is also behind a thick plate of glass and you stand about 10 feet away. I felt like I was squinting to see her. Jon wanted to see Aphrodite. The kids were getting bored so we made our way out. I would love to go back to the Louvre and look for the underground glass pyramid! I might just find the arc of the covenant! :)


We had a great time but definitely need to go back. It's a good thing we are only a 4 1/2 hour drive. I want some more of those stinkin pastries!!!!!

9 comments:

Becky said...

I've decided in order to avoid breaking the "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor" commandment I can no longer read your blog!
Pastries! Oh how I love them too. That was my favorite thing about Italy was their pastries. I am so totally jealous of you guys! I'm glad you are getting to do all of these wonderful experiences.
Do they need any potato farmer over their?

Amy said...

How fun! I want some of those pastries!

michelle keisel said...

Sounds like a great time. I am packing to head that way Thursday morning. Still wish I could see you. sigh so close, yet so far....

Ben said...

Those were some tasty pastries. Thanks for making the trip so great! We'll have to do it again!

lisa said...

Okay, I am homesick! I could tell you all the best places to get those pain au chocolate! I ate so many of them!!! I have to know did you eat crepes at the bottom of the Eiffel tower? There is a guy who sells them right outside, across the bridge that are to die for. My mouth is watering right now thinking about them! I want to come over there so bad. Maybe I will just run away. Take a credit card and head for the Netherlands.:) Find a babysitter and you can run away with me. Think of the damage the two of us could do to Europe!! Oh I wish!! Take care, Lisa

Alisa said...

I'm right there with Lisa, I love the pan au chocolate. They were my favorite treats when I was there. I couldn't get enough of them. So much fun. It sounds like you are having a great time sight seeing. Europe is a wonderful place. It's fun to read your traveling blog.

Janel said...

Your picture are of everything I think of when I think of Paris. I would love to see the Louvre and all the art!!! I can't believe it is only 4 1/2 hours away from your home!!!

Melynie said...

What a wonderful 'holiday'! It sounds like an incredible experience! I'm so jealous! I hope your kids can remember all these fabulous things they're doing.

wright said...

Are you for serious?!! PARIS!! What memories--will you mail me some pastries?! (;