Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Sahara Desert Day 1

The middle of our trip we took a two day excursion to the Sahara Desert. It was a long bus ride (6 + hours both directions) but so worth it! Along the way we stopped in El Jem to see a Roman Amphitheatre. This is one of the greatest monuments that the Romans left in Africa. It was amazing and has got us excited to go to Rome in March. The movies Gladiator and Star Wars were filmed in this Amphitheatre. Our walk from the bus to the amphitheatre was even more exciting. As soon as we got off the bus men came from no where wanting us to buy some map or something. They would grab your hand and put the map right in your hand and then ask for money. Also, there were men selling souvenirs along the way and they would come at you with junk and want you to buy it. They were touching the children's hair and faces. It was freaking me out! I picked up Tally and had Chase and Bailee hold on to Jon's hands and told the men in English and Dutch NO! I was glad to get in the Amphitheatre and back to the bus all in one piece.

We left El Jem and headed to Matmata. Along the way it was so interesting to see the landscape change from Olive trees as far as the eye could see to Date Trees. Matmata was also another setting for the movie Star Wars. We ate lunch in a Trogloodyte (man made caves where people live). Not sure what Star Wars movie was filmed here but we took some picture. The lunch was traditional Tunisian food called Goos Goos. It is like a stew with some kind of yellow rice. It was pretty good. In Matmata there are large mountains with barriers built around. Again, another scene from Star Wars. Jon recognized all the stuff from the movie but I had no idea. (okay I'll confess, I've never seen star wars!)

From Matmata we headed straight for the Sahara to an oasis village called Douz. It was in Douz where we hopped on our camels and took a ride in to the Sahara and watched the sunset. It was absolutely beautiful!! Our pictures don't do it justice. Talynn rode the camel with me, Chase rode with Jon and Bailee had to be brave and go alone. Talynn and I were the first on the camels. I was so nervous but didn't want Bailee to know so I tried my best to be brave. As soon as the camel stood up I think I threw out a little scream. It was so weird. Next was Bailee's turn. She didn't want to get on the camel but our tour guide didn't give her time to think about it. He just threw her up there and up the camel came. She had a few tears in her eyes and was holding the reins so tight she lost feeling in her fingers but she was so brave! The camels made very discussing noises and slobbered and spit a lot. If you ask the kids there favorite part of the trip they will tell you the camels. It was pretty awesome. As the sun was setting both Jon and I looked at each other the same time and said "Can you believe it? Here we are, sitting on camels in the Sahara watching the sunset." It was a moment I hope I will always remember. From the camel ride we went and stayed the night in a beautiful hotel in the village of Douz. It was pretty weird thinking we were staying in the middle of the Sahara in an oasis.

Enjoy the pictures of our first day in the Sahara.

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

Love the pictures! Looks like your having a blast. Merry Christmas.

michelle keisel said...

That is so cool! I would love to do that...Have a Merry Christmas!

Ben said...

These pictures are FANTASTIC! Sounds like you had a great time!

Jodi said...

WOW! What a fun trip.

lisa said...

Wow you are so lucky! Here I was feeling like a million bucks because we got to go as a family to see the lights at Temple Square. Look at the cool places you get to go as a family! It looks like a fun time! Thanks for sharing. Have a Merry Christmas. I didn't send you a card because one I didn't have your address and two I thought you would be gone. Take care, Lisa

Janel said...

Amazing! It seems so much different from all of the other places you have been. I do recognize some the Star wars stuff I have only seen the first one and the old ones. I remember the little boy was from a very dry plant with buildings that were the same color as the ground, and some funny dinosaur animal in the street(I suppose you didn't see any of them).